Life just gives you time & space; it's up to you to fill it.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Kids Mania

Have you ever wondered what it takes to bring up a child? I never had to so far, but now seeing close friends having babies in their arms makes me think a little more. I consider myself a kid-lover and have had a wave with most children. But, assuming that my perception while entertaining the kids has only been that they are someone else’s possession and my responsibility is only to be with them while they are happy, could be an important point of consideration for liking kids. It is so easy to just dump them in their mother’s hands when they throw a tantrum and not be bothered about their screams and cries.

The past weekend saw me meeting a variety of kids in all different ages and this is what led to the blog. One particularly interesting almost 2-year old girl was so sweet when she was in a good mood, but could turn into a little devil when she was not allowed to do what she wanted to. Her wants ranged from climbing on a dining table to take away anything that was there, munching plants from pots, opening CD cases to find her favourite CD and eating anything that elders were having. It was fascinating to see her in action the first few times especially when it was in someone else’s house. But, when she came to our house and was rummaging through all the articles, I was beginning to lose my patience. It was becoming difficult to keep her in one place for a few minutes. No wonder the parents had given up trying to keep her quiet.

At the same time, I was amazed to see a 4-year old girl who was maturing so quickly. I was intrigued by her thick Australian accent and yet the strong Indian-ism in her. She seemed really proud to be an Indian and was confident that she was going back once she grew up. She even claimed that her being in Australia was just a holiday and she was actually living in India, while the reality was that she went to India for a holiday and had fallen in love with the place. Made me wonder what was going on in that little head of hers. Her knowledge of cars and passion towards her favourite colour – pink, amused me. She wanted her father to drive a pink car!

Then there was this 1-month old baby boy. If you thought babies this young could only eat and sleep, think again. He had his own attitude too. His mom’s attempt to put him to sleep alone in a room went futile all the time. He wanted constant chatter and somebody’s lap to enter deep slumber, what an odd necessity. It was also interesting to notice the strange faces he was making and made me think what was really going on. That is when somebody remarked that it is a general belief that God speaks to babies and makes them run errands for Him; which is why they smile sometimes, seem tired at other times and make strange expressions. We would never know if that was true, unless babies could speak and tell us what they are going through. Can science do that, trap the thoughts and translate them?

I have never really thought about having my own kids, but now it has brought me one step closer to reality. It is no more all play, but behind the scenes action of parents and the way they bring up the kid matters a real lot. I have learnt that although many things are inherited from the genes, how important it is to condition them externally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home